Preventive maintenance on your HVAC system is extremely important to prevent hazards, ensure that your equipment is efficiently running all year long, and to avoid expensive maintenance costs down the line. Here are some tips:
- Ensure the indoor and outdoor components of your HVAC system are clean and free of any possible debris.
- On a monthly basis, inspect the air conditioner lines for leaks.
- Change your air filters around every 3 months. (Change them more often if you have pets at home, or it is allergy season).
- Turn off water to furnace humidifier in the summer.
- Replace the humidifier filter and turn water back on in the fall.
- Replace the batteries in all of carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clean your AC condensation drain lines: Bleach OR a mixture of vinegar and water (DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND VINEGAR) is sufficient for cleaning the dust, dirt and mold that can accumulate in the drain lines.
- Inspect your outdoor AC unit/heat pump: Since the AC unit is continuously exposed to weather and environmental changes, it is important to check and ensure it is free of debris, dirt, leaves and branches. Also ensure that the unit is sitting on ground level and create room around the unit.